Specialised Pain Management
We help diagnose the cause of your pain by a thorough medical assessment combined with laboratory or imaging investigations.
We believe in health education and counselling our patients so they understand their condition and what is causing their pain and symptoms, as well as the treatment available to them.
We develop an individually-tailored treatment plan that addresses your specific goals, needs and lifestyle.
We can help you with any form of pain. We offer specialised treatment programs for the following conditions:
- Back or neck pain
- Nerve impingement syndromes
- Hip, knee, or shoulder pain
- Arthritis – including osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis,
- Migraines or other Complex Headache syndromes
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Drug -induced neuropathies (including chemotherapy-induced neuropathy)
- Other neuropathies (including diabetic, HIV-associated, etc)
- Cancer pain
Interventional Pain Procedures
We specialise in minimally invasive interventional pain procedures, as an alternative to surgery.
These include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Intravenous pain management, such as ketamine infusions
- Facet blocks
- Dorsal medial branch blocks
- Nerve root blocks
- Pulsed radiofrequency rhizotomy
- Dorsal root ganglion stimulation
- Caudal epidural injections
- Joint injections
- Sphenopalatine (pterygopalatine) ganglion block
- Non-invasive vagus nerve stimulation
Pulsed radiofrequency Pain Treatment
- Is a minimally invasive procedure to treat nerve and joint pain.
- Safe alternative to higher risk surgery and addictive pain medication (such as opioids)
- Pulsed radiofrequency waves block the pain signal carried by the nerve, without damaging it.
- This reduces the pain experienced from that nerve or joint that was targeted.
- It can provide effective pain relief for 12-24 months.
IV PAIN MANAGEMENT
This is a doctor-prescribed, individualised service which utilises intravenous medication (such as ketamine infusions) to alleviate chronic pain.
This is a very useful service for cancer patients, especially those undergoing chemo-or radiation therapy, and for palliative care.
All IV infusion therapy is administered by a doctor and/or a registered nurse, both of whom are trained and accredited in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) or Basic Life Support (BLS) respectively.
The IV medication and vitamins used are manufactured in a registered pharmaceutical laboratory and adhere to SAHPRA regulations. They are not contaminated with unwanted “floaters” or pre-mixed with any preservatives.
The IV infusion therapy is provided in adherence with sterile protocols and in a comfortable environment at the practice.
Interdisciplinary team management
I believe in an interdisciplinary team approach to pain management. For this reason, I have formed partnerships and associations with a group of highly-skilled and experienced health professionals which include neurosurgeons, orthopaedic surgeons, physiotherapists, biokineticists, an occupational therapist, a dietician, and a psychologist – all of whom are located in the same building for your convenience.
I am the official pain management physician for the African Sport Science Institute Clinic.